Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wreath

Hello and Happy New Year, everyone! I apologize for being MIA! As you know our computer died--as in the blue screen of death--so I hadn't been able to do any blogging and it was tough because I had so much great stuff to blog about! Then I thought Santa saved the day by bringing me an iPad (which is AWESOME)! But, it not 100% compatible with blogger, yet, so I was delayed again!  But then, we got our computer back from the dead!!!  The cousin of a friend, who is super handy and knowledgeable about computers, came over and wiped the slate clean and installed the Linux operating system, so hopefully no more nasty viruses and no more blue screens of death.  So...onward with the blog about my fun wreath I made for Christmas!

Anyway, I've been wanting to post a blog about how I made my Christmas wreath--a little late for Christmas, but you could adapt it for Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, or an everyday wreath!

So, here is a picture of the finished project:
 I attached it to a "fake" green wreath to give it some "oomph" and I think it ended up quite nicely.

Here's how I made it:

 I started with Styrofoam balls, yarn, some fun colored balls, a wreath form, and some balls that I had in my Christmas container (I have a plethora of Christmas balls).
I didn't take pictures of wrapping the Styrofoam balls with yarn because I needed both hands, but I just wrapped and wrapped until I was satisfied and then I stopped wrapping :)
 Then I hot glued the bejeezus out of the ornaments and yarn balls--please the note the gobs of hot glue.
 I didn't have any rhyme or reason to placing them on there--except for putting the three yarn balls together--I just added them where I though it looked like it needed one or there was gap.

Then, I noticed you could see the wire and I didn't have the right size (small/tiny) balls to fill in the holes.  So...I decided to wrap yarn around the frame in order to hide the gaps. 
As you can see here, it was haphazard and let me tell you--it was time consuming!  I have learned from this and am passing my wisdom onto you--next time I make one I am going to wrap the frame in a wide ribbon first (or yarn) and then put the yarn balls and other accoutrement on.  I think that will work nicely and be really cute.

Here is it before I put the garland and wreath behind it--cute, but needing a little something...





 Looks pretty cute, huh?  I am thinking about making one for the spring, so will let you know how it turns out!

~Lexie


Some inspiration for my wreath came from:
Tatortots and Jello
Apartment TherapyThere are so many cute DIY wreath ideas out there--I can't wait for next Christmas to try more!

No comments:

Post a Comment